Stocking up on office supplies?

  • August 3rd, 2015
  • in News

As we begin to prepare for another school year to start, be sure your department is prepared as well.  All office supply orders need to go through our contract vendor, Staples. There is a special website set up to provide The University of Alabama’s discounted pricing.  If you do not have a log-in for the website, our representatives would be happy to help with that.  Anyone in your department can be set up with a log-in even if it’s just for viewing purposes.  If you have any questions please contact Jana Weaver, For the website link or our representative’s contact information please see the Standing Contract page.


  • July 7th, 2015
  • in News

What better time of year than summer to think of something cold – bagged ice? Departments purchasing bagged ice for various events may purchase the ice with their P-Card. However, don’t forget to include the business purpose for the ice in your P-Card packet.

For research purposes or shipping, Purchasing has a standing contract with Continental Carbonic Products, Inc. for dry ice.  Information concerning contact information, price, minimum order size and packaging is available on the Purchasing Department website.

University Computer Suppliers

  • June 4th, 2015
  • in News

The University has two standing contracts for computer systems. Dell brand systems can be ordered online on the UA Dell Premier website.  To obtain a Premier log-in, please contact Gieva’ Patton in Purchasing.

Apple brand systems should be purchased at the SupeStore Apple Store located at the Ferguson Center.  You will need to complete the transaction with a DTA (Departmental Transfer). Orders can also be placed there for items not currently in-stock.

If you have any questions on ordering these or other computer systems, please contact Gieva’ Patton at or 205-348-6506.

Want to Have an Event?

  • May 1st, 2015
  • in News

Purchasing as established a standing contract for the rental of tents, tables, chairs, and event equipment.  These types of rentals may be paid by P-Card or Purchase Order.  When asking the vendor for a quote you will need to tell them the title of the event, department name, event date and time, location for setup, delivery and pickup time, a contact name and phone number.  When you receive the quote from the vendor, check the Purchasing website to verify the pricing.  If the event is taking place on the campus grounds, a Grounds Use Permit must be requested. Cancellations with less than 48 hours notice to the vendor will result in a charge of 50% of the quote.

Contact Robin Schmitt (348-5385) with any questions or concerns.

Trademark Licensing

  • April 6th, 2015
  • in News

The Office of Procurement Services and Trademark Licensing Office have joined together to help University Departments and recognized student organizations find and purchase items with imprinted or embroidered University logos or insignia from licensed vendors. Logos and insignia that must be licensed may include any artwork that references the University in any way. This is done to help protect the brand, image and reputation of The University of Alabama.

An online approval system is being developed to assist departments in submitting their artwork and quotes for approval. Over the next few months more information will be available for all departments. More information on Trademark Licensing can be found here.

Renting a Vehicle

  • March 2nd, 2015
  • in News

The University of Alabama uses Enterprise Holdings as our contract vendor for vehicle rentals.  This includes Enterprise Rent-A-Car and National Car Rental.  Departments are welcome to rent vehicles for Faculty, staff, students and visitors needing vehicle accommodations for official University business.  Renters will need to be 21 years of age and have a valid driver’s license.  For your convenience, Enterprise offers a corporate program that allows University departments to set up a corporate account so vehicles can be rented for those who do not possess a University P-card.  For detailed instructions regarding Enterprise please visit the standing contract page.

And as always, departments are encouraged to contact the Purchasing Department and speak to Patrick Sexton, Senior Buyer, at (205) 348-0064 for assistance or additional information regarding vehicle rentals.

Toner Scams

  • February 4th, 2015
  • in News

There are numerous companies that target the University trying to get departments to order toner from them. We have contract vendors for ourcopier and printer toner. Neither vendor will ever contact you asking you to place an order. If you do receive calls about ordering toner you can decline or refer them to Jana Weaver in the Purchasing Department.

The companies that call are typically very persistent and will try to make it sound like they are our contract vendors or you have placed an order with them previously. They will try any way they can to get you to order, including offering free samples that are not free. Please do not give your information to these companies. If you have any questions or concerns please contact Jana Weaver by email or at 205-348-3954.

Contract Reminder

  • January 5th, 2015
  • in News

The University has a contract with Home Depot for in-store and online purchases. Any building supply items available at Home Depot may be purchased under this contract. When making your purchase, check out at the Pro Desk in the store and use your P-Card. If you cannot find your item in the store, check Home Depot’s website

If the item is available on their website, contact Robin Schmitt at in Purchasing for the tax exempt account number before placing your order. The item can be ordered and shipped to your department or to the local store.


  • December 1st, 2014
  • in News

The Purchasing Department currently has two bids for t-shirts. If you plan to purchase t-shirts as a promotional item, please be sure you are using one of the contract vendors. The bids are awarded based on the brand of t-shirt you are purchasing. If you are not sure which brand you’d like to purchase, you may get quotes from both companies to assist in your decision. Ad-Wear and Specialty of Texas has the contract for Comfort Color shirts and Will Enterprises has the contract for Hanes and Gildan shirts. If you are looking for another brand or have any questions, please contact Jana Weaver, or 205-348-3954.

Also, remember all artwork needs to be approved through Cole Price, Director of Trademarks and Licensing prior to any promotional items, including t-shirts, being purchased. All contract vendors are CLC Licensed.  If you are purchasing any promotional items that are not currently under contract, you will need to use a CLC Licensed vendor. More information can be found here.

Moving & Relocation

  • October 4th, 2014
  • in News

Do you know how Moving & Relocation allotments work?  How about which moving costs are reimbursable?

Each department determines an allotment amount for new employees that can be used for moving expenses.  That allotment amount covers household, office and laboratory relocation costs (including up to 30 consecutive days of storage).  After final moving costs, if there is money left within the allotment amount, an MDV can be completed to reimburse for out of pocket moving expenses such as:  pre-moving travel, lodging and meals (house hunting trip after accepted job offer); travel, lodging and meals during the move and temporary quarters & meals after move to Tuscaloosa area.  These expenses are not allowable on the P-Card.

However, please be advised that unused allotment money is not refunded to the new employee.  If you have any questions, please contact Gieva’ Patton,, 205-348-6506.