Category: News

Equipment Purchases Exceeding $5,000

  • January 7th, 2016
  • in News

The Scientific and Engineering communities often make purchases of equipment or systems, in which the price exceeds $5,000.  When placing such orders, please provide Purchasing with the building and room number for where the item(s) will be housed.  This information is helpful in communicating with Property and Inventory Management and obtaining any reviews necessary from Construction AdministrationFacilities or Environmental Health and Safety.   Property and Inventory Management needs to know where to take equipment asset tags and whom to contact.  It is beneficial to Construction Administration/Facilities or EHS as well, as they are able to review the final location and determine if the area is acceptable from a mechanical, electrical and safety standpoint.

Physical Therapy Services

  • December 3rd, 2015
  • in News

The Purchasing Department has recently negotiated a new contract for physical therapy services.  Our new provider, Drayer Physical Therapy, will be offering these services at the Student Recreation Center. Therapy is available to students (full and part-time), UA OJI patients, Student Recreation Center members, faculty/staff/alumni and their eligible dependents and/or spouses, and the general community with a doctor’s prescription. If you or someone you know has a doctor’s prescription for physical therapy services, please consider Drayer Physical Therapy.  They are available from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday at 348-3904.

Beware of Toner Scams

  • November 4th, 2015
  • in News

Recently there have been several reports of toner scam phone calls.  The calls come from 384-9000 which means that the caller ID has been blocked.  The individual identifies himself as Mr. Davis with Insight Services and pressures the employee for a credit card number so he can process the order.

However, there are numerous companies that target the University trying to get departments to order toner from them. We have contract vendors for our copier and printer toner. Neither vendor will ever contact you asking you to place an order. If you do receive calls about ordering toner you should decline or refer them to Jana Weaver in the Purchasing Department.

The companies that call are typically very persistent and will try to make it sound like they are our contract vendors or you have placed an order with them previously. They will try any way they can to get you to order, including offering free samples that are not free. Please do not give your information to these companies. If you have any questions or concerns please contact Jana Weaver by email or at 205-348-3954.

Licensing Approval Now Required

  • October 6th, 2015
  • in News

Purchasing has been assisting Trademark Licensing with the implementation of the Licensing Approval Form over the past several months. Licensing has reported they are seeing a lot of departments utilizing this form, and it has worked well. Due to its success, Trademark Licensing has determined that they are ready to require the form for all purchases of items that bear University logos or insignia that refer to any University department or program. We, in Procurement Services, will comply with this by verifying that all impacted purchases have a copy of the approved form included. We appreciate your assistance in making this transition go as smoothly as possible. If you have any questions please see the Trademark Licensing website.

Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services

  • September 1st, 2015
  • in News

Do you have University-owned items such as tablecloths, uniforms, costumes or bedding which need to be cleaned?   Royal Fine Cleaners is the contract vendor to provide this service for you.   The standing contract covers laundry and dry cleaning services.   You may drop off the items at any Royal Fine Cleaners or arrange to have them pick up the items (for a nominal fee).  In order to schedule a pick up, please call 391-0034, and select Option 5 for the University.

Stocking up on office supplies?

  • August 3rd, 2015
  • in News

As we begin to prepare for another school year to start, be sure your department is prepared as well.  All office supply orders need to go through our contract vendor, Staples. There is a special website set up to provide The University of Alabama’s discounted pricing.  If you do not have a log-in for the website, our representatives would be happy to help with that.  Anyone in your department can be set up with a log-in even if it’s just for viewing purposes.  If you have any questions please contact Jana Weaver, For the website link or our representative’s contact information please see the Standing Contract page.


  • July 7th, 2015
  • in News

What better time of year than summer to think of something cold – bagged ice? Departments purchasing bagged ice for various events may purchase the ice with their P-Card. However, don’t forget to include the business purpose for the ice in your P-Card packet.

For research purposes or shipping, Purchasing has a standing contract with Continental Carbonic Products, Inc. for dry ice.  Information concerning contact information, price, minimum order size and packaging is available on the Purchasing Department website.

University Computer Suppliers

  • June 4th, 2015
  • in News

The University has two standing contracts for computer systems. Dell brand systems can be ordered online on the UA Dell Premier website.  To obtain a Premier log-in, please contact Gieva’ Patton in Purchasing.

Apple brand systems should be purchased at the SupeStore Apple Store located at the Ferguson Center.  You will need to complete the transaction with a DTA (Departmental Transfer). Orders can also be placed there for items not currently in-stock.

If you have any questions on ordering these or other computer systems, please contact Gieva’ Patton at or 205-348-6506.

Want to Have an Event?

  • May 1st, 2015
  • in News

Purchasing as established a standing contract for the rental of tents, tables, chairs, and event equipment.  These types of rentals may be paid by P-Card or Purchase Order.  When asking the vendor for a quote you will need to tell them the title of the event, department name, event date and time, location for setup, delivery and pickup time, a contact name and phone number.  When you receive the quote from the vendor, check the Purchasing website to verify the pricing.  If the event is taking place on the campus grounds, a Grounds Use Permit must be requested. Cancellations with less than 48 hours notice to the vendor will result in a charge of 50% of the quote.

Contact Robin Schmitt (348-5385) with any questions or concerns.

Trademark Licensing

  • April 6th, 2015
  • in News

The Office of Procurement Services and Trademark Licensing Office have joined together to help University Departments and recognized student organizations find and purchase items with imprinted or embroidered University logos or insignia from licensed vendors. Logos and insignia that must be licensed may include any artwork that references the University in any way. This is done to help protect the brand, image and reputation of The University of Alabama.

An online approval system is being developed to assist departments in submitting their artwork and quotes for approval. Over the next few months more information will be available for all departments. More information on Trademark Licensing can be found here.